A step by step guide for publishing engagements in different locations across the application.
This article is relevant for App Admins and Account Admins.
Tags - Engagements, Publish, Guide, Application
Watch the video here:
Table of contents:
Engagements Library and publishing engagement copies
The Engagements Library (formerly Engagement section) is where the engagements you’ve created and configured are stored. To access your Engagements Library, click on the “Engagements library” item in the App Information menu on the left-hand side of the administration portal interface.
In the “Engagement items” tab, you can view, search and filter the list of your existing engagements, and create new engagements.
You can choose to display a Sender in your engagements when published in some locations in the application, for example, Broadcast Channels. The “Senders” tab in the Engagements Library is where you can create and configure your list of Senders.
Engagements in your library and publishing copies
All engagements stored in your Engagements Library are original engagements and you publish copies of them in your location of choice. There are two types of copies based on the location: linked and unlinked.
The copies published in Broadcast channels, Content Feeds, and on the Home Screen are linked. Those published in Facilitations and Journeys are unlinked (see Image 2).
Please note that the Survey, 360 Feedback Survey and Reflection engagements are always published as unlinked copies across the application. This is to ensure that once an end-user receives and starts interacting with them, their progress won’t be disrupted.
At the moment, you’ll be able to publish the 360 Feedback Survey and Voting engagements only in Facilitations. To learn more about Facilitations view our How to use the Facilitation workflow guide.
Making changes to published engagements
Following publication, linked copies are automatically updated with any changes made to the original engagement which sits in the Engagements Library. This means that they can’t be changed individually in the locations they are published in. Furthermore, only one linked copy of an original engagement can exist in the same location.
In contrast, an unlinked copy can only be changed in the location in which it was published. Changes to an unlinked copy do not affect the original engagement in your library or its linked copies. Additionally, you can publish multiple unlinked copies of an engagement in the same location. (See Image 3)
The publishing process can be initiated from two points on the administration portal. You can publish an engagement directly from the Engagements Library to your chosen location, or go to the location and start the process from there.
Initiate publishing from the Engagements Library
- Find the engagement you want to publish in the Engagements Library, click on the “●●●” menu icon in the top right corner of the engagement card then click the “Publish a copy” menu item (See Image 4).
- The first step of the publishing process is to select where you want to publish the engagement copy. In the publishing interface, first, select “Broadcast channels” from the dropdown as your publishing location. Then, select a broadcast channel from the list. Optionally, you can add a sender from your Senders list to be displayed on the engagement card (See images 5 and 6). Once you are happy with your selection click on the “Continue” button in the top right corner to move on to the next step.
You have to select a start date which is the date when the published engagement copy will be made available to end-users. This could be today’s date or a future date. Optionally, you can also configure an end date - the last day the engagement copy will be available to end-users in the app. If there is no end date, users will be able to access the engagement copy permanently. Once the engagement copy is published you can change its schedule at any time.
The engagement hooks are designed to attract the end-user’s attention to the engagement by notifying them there is a new item for them to engage with. You can configure two hooks for engagement copies published in a Broadcast Channel - a push notification and a card displayed in the Broadcast Channels carousel on the Home Screen. Using the dropdown options for each you can choose to use or not use the hooks, or you could let the AI make that decision automatically.
If you select "Automatic (AI decision)" for push notifications, the AI will decide if a notification should be sent based on the user's behaviour. For example, push notifications are more likely to be sent to a user who interacts with them frequently. On the other hand, if a user generally ignores push notifications, the AI is less likely to bother them with notifications in the future.
If you select "Automatic (AI decision)" for displaying a card in the Broadcast channel carousel on the Home Screen, the AI will make the decision based on how often the user interacts with items in the carousel.
Once you are happy with the configuration you can click the “Publish” button in the top right corner of the interface to publish the engagement copy.
4. To view where an engagement has been published click on the “●●●” menu icon in the top right corner of the engagement card in your Engagements Library then click the “Published locations” menu item. This will open the “Published locations” tab in the engagement configuration interface. Here you can see the locations in which the engagement copies are published, the type of copies, the availability status, the availability schedule and basic insights.
Click on the “●●●” menu icon on the right-hand side of the list item to edit the schedule and to unpublish a linked copy or go to the location of an unlinked copy. (See Image 8)
You can also initiate the publishing process from here by clicking the “Publish a copy” button. You can
Initiate publishing from a Broadcast channel
- Navigate to the Broadcast Channels section in the administration portal. Click on the “●●●” menu icon in the top right corner of the channel card, then click on the “Publish engagement” menu item (See Image 9).
- To view the engagement copies published in a Broadcast Channel click on the “●●●” menu icon in the top right corner of the channel card, then click on the “View published” menu item (See Image 13).
The “Published engagements” tab of the Broadcast Channel’s configuration interface will open. Here you can view the engagement’s details, the copy type, the availability status, the availability schedule and basic insights. You can also initiate the publishing process from here by clicking on the “Publish engagement” button. (See Image 14)
Initiate publishing from the Engagements Library
- Find the engagement you want to publish in the Engagements Library, click on the “●●●” menu icon in the top right corner of the engagement card then click the “Publish a copy” menu item (See Image 15).
Image 163. The second step of the publishing process is to set up an availability schedule and how you want end-users to be notified (See Image 17).
Initiate publishing from the Home Screen section
- Navigate to the Home Screen section in the administration portal. Here you’ll find the list of engagement copies published on the Home screen of the application. You can view the engagement’s details, the copy type, the availability status, the availability schedule and basic insights. To initiate the publishing process click on the “Publish engagement” button. (See Image 18).
Image 203. The second step is to set up the availability schedule and engagement hooks (See Image 21).